Advertisement

non-soy based meat substitutes?

topic posted Mon, April 25, 2005 - 6:48 PM by  Lisa
Share/Save/Bookmark
Greetings,

I'm a new vegan (for health reasons), no meat, dairy, flour or soy (no estrogens). Anyone have any suggestions for a meat substute?

Thanks, Lisa
posted by:
Lisa
Los Angeles
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: non-soy based meat substitutes?

Mon, April 25, 2005 - 6:57 PM
    if you are concerned about protein i would focus on beans and nuts/seeds. there are many food possibilities without having a 'meat' substitution. i rarely ever eat tofu or tempeh and get tons of protein form beans and such.
    good luck!
    • Re: non-soy based meat substitutes?

Tue, April 26, 2005 - 4:55 PM
      I agree. Studies have shown that most people get too much protein, which can inhibit the absorption of essential nutrients, like Calcium. Whole grains and vegetables also have some protein in them.

The only "meat substitute" that I can think of that meets your criteria is lentil loaf.

I also recommend quinoa, which has one of the highest proteins and is very tasty:

www.quinoa.net/
  • đ
    đ
    offline 11

Mon, April 25, 2005 - 6:57 PM
    flour? wheat flour? gluten?

Tue, April 26, 2005 - 3:27 PM
      The dietary guidlines that I'm following just said "flour"?? I need to do more research because cutting out weat really sucks!
      • Hi
        Hi
        offline 54

Tue, April 26, 2005 - 4:32 PM
        Well, it is my understanding seitan is a wheat-baaed protein source. Basically like tofu, only from wheat instead of soy beans. I don't know if your restiction on flour means no wheat based products.

~ken~

Tue, April 26, 2005 - 4:50 PM
          I thought it was made with vital wheat gluten, so I guess that depends on your guidelines. Even if it was made with textured vegetable protein, which it's not, that'll still be against your dietary guidelines because TVP is defatted SOY FLOUR, so I don't think seitan'll work for you. Just hope you can have wheat based products, I guess.
        • Unsu...

Tue, April 26, 2005 - 4:53 PM

I second Jessica's recommendation. Nuts & seeds are filling & nutrient-dense and can be eaten alone or slipped into other recipes (stirfry, pasta, cookie, etc etc); and beans & lentils are wonderfully versatile and nutritious.

If you're concerned about protein in general, remember that whole grains - quinoa, amaranth, brown rice, etc - can have a relatively high protein content as well (in the range of 12-16% if I remember correctly), and compliment bean & nut proteins.

Wed, April 27, 2005 - 2:49 PM
            Thank you everyone!

Namaste, Lisa
            • Unsu...

Thu, April 28, 2005 - 4:38 PM
              I have to recommend seitan as well. A close friend has a thyroid problem and must avoid soy, so she switched to seitan and the TSH level corrected itself. It's got a good texture, and it's easy to work with. My favorite is the flour mix - just throw it in a bread machine for a few minutes, flatten, cook in stock and it's done.
  • -
    -
    offline 496

Tue, May 3, 2005 - 10:53 AM
    I totally understand about your soy situation-I have a similar problem.

One thing you might want to try is this: Don't think of it as getting your protein from ONE source; thing combinations.

Try mixing quinoa with millet, add some chick peas-all three are very digestable and easy on the body-and you get a broader amino acid spectrum when you combine grains and beans.

also, you might want to look into micro algae, most specifically spirulina.

also, don't look at it as "meat substitutes", but as just a regular part of your diet.

some gluten free, non- wheat grains:
    quinoa(as in a privious posting...)
    amaranth
    buckwheat
    millet
    Brown basmati or wild rice
    sorhgum
    corn...? a lot of people have an allergy to this...
    teff
    and oatmeall....but this grain has been grown with wheat for thousands of years, so it might some of the gluten protein in it.

also: if you are allergic to soy, then you need to be aware of some of the other beans that could cause some kind of reaction, like black beans, kidney beans, etc...

feel free to messege me any time-I have a holistic nutrition practice and I get this sort of stuff every day.

michael

Recent topics in "Vegan Cooking"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
A Yeast, Gluten, and Dairy Free Bread Recipe For Sufferers of ... Unsubscribed 2 April 28, 2013
Bean-flavored water Ron 1 March 26, 2013
Vegan Cornbread Ayala 18 March 26, 2013
"Big Organic" brands and parent companies 1 March 26, 2013