Advertisement

vegan turducken

topic posted Sun, November 30, 2003 - 3:21 PM by  Beverly
Share/Save/Bookmark
Not to be outdone by my carnivorous friends, I set out to make the vegan equivalent of a turducken for Thanksgiving this year. (For the uninitiated, a turducken is a chicken stuffed into a duck stuffed into a turkey - yes, the concept is pretty frightful.) I did it mostly as a joke, but it actually came out quite well! Here's what I did:

Ingredients: 1 Tofurkey, 1 Field Roast, 1 veggie hot dog, 4 slices veggie canadian bacon.

Step 1: Hollow out a hot-dog-sized hole lengthwise through the field roast. We found that a chopstick worked pretty well for this. Stuff the veggie dog into this hole.

Step 2: Cut the tofurkey in half lengthwise. Scoop out the stuffing and cut away part of the "meat" to make a hole big enough for the field roast. Tuck the roast into one half and cover with the other. There will probably be gaps on the sides; this is OK.

Step 3: Fill gaps with rolled-up pieces of "bacon". Use toothpicks to hold them in place.

Step 4. If desired, make a marinade: I used balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, and a little olive oil.

Bake in 375-ish oven for an hour or so, til heated through.

We called this a "tofucken". :) I will post a photo as well.
posted by:
Beverly
Seattle
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: vegan turducken

Sun, November 30, 2003 - 6:32 PM
    What a great idea!

My family had a turducken last year, and I was slightly disturbed by it not only because the whole thing by itself is pretty frightening and disgusting, but because ducks are my favorite animals!

Great job ;)

Recent topics in "Vegan Cooking"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
A Yeast, Gluten, and Dairy Free Bread Recipe For Sufferers of ... Unsubscribed 2 April 28, 2013
Bean-flavored water Ron 1 March 26, 2013
Vegan Cornbread Ayala 18 March 26, 2013
"Big Organic" brands and parent companies 1 March 26, 2013