Advertisement

Really, Really Fluffy Quinoa

topic posted Thu, September 28, 2006 - 10:31 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I was searching the internet for suggestions oh how to make Quinoa really, really, fluffy. Somehow I ended up back on Tribe.

If you want to have fluffy quinoa and not mushy quinoa here's how. I would love to hear other comments on this topic, as my quest for truly fluffy quinoa has yet to reach its zenith.

Issue #1: Liquid Ratio

Most recipes say 2 cups water/broth to one cup quinoa. This is a good ratio, but if you want really, really fluffy quinoa then cut back the liquid to say 1 and 2/3 cups. A little less water. Add at least 1 teaspoon of salt to the water.

Issue #2: Restraint

Don't add the quinoa till the water is at a rolling boil.

Issue #3: To cover or not to cover?

It is best to not fully cover the simmering pan, leave a small but noticeable gap to let out the steam. Otherwise your precious quinoa seeds will absorb too much of the water.

Issue #4: Heat
Don't go too easy on those little gems. A low-medium or almost medium flame is best. You should have a slow simmer going that is audible. At this heat 10-15 minutes will be your cooking time, definately not 20 minutes.

Issue #5: Happy Ending
When the audible simmer begins to die down the final and most important step comes into play: Uncover the pan, turn the heat up to medium and stir your almost fluffy quinoa constantly as the last remnants of water evaporate.

You should now be in the zone of Quinoa Fluffyness

Issue #6: Salad Option
If you are not gonna eat the quinoa hot then immediately put the pan in the fridge, uncovered. You want to cool down the quinoa so it doesn't cook more, definately don't leave it covered.

Question: Has anyone toasted their quinoa before cooking/ I haven't tried this but imagine it would produce a crunchier grain.

Red vs. Traditional Tan Quinoa; The red looks nice but I find it too fibrous. Never tried black quinoa, didn't know it exists.

Andrew
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Really, Really Fluffy Quinoa

Fri, September 29, 2006 - 1:39 PM
    hi, i like to throw quinoa in with the short grain brown rice (same ratios) 15 minutes later, though. Quinoa can go in the white rice same time. It synergizes a third flavor and is FLUFFY.

Thu, October 19, 2006 - 9:48 AM
    just wondering. . ,,

how well do you rinse the quinoa?

i've read about the importance of rinsing well to remove that bitterness, supposedly it's not good for digestion? does it really matter? my quinoa always tastes a little bitter and i dont mind it, but if this isnt good for my body i should rinse more thoroughly.

Fri, October 27, 2006 - 7:29 AM
    I have toasted Quinoa, but only before putting it into recipes where it is not going to be cooked further (cookies, energy bars, etc.).

A housemate of mine fries Quinoa in olive oil with onions, garlic, and spices before cooking it. It tastes great, but isn't fluffy. I'd be interested to try your cooking technique with toasting or frying them first...

Recent topics in "Vegan Cooking"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Beyonce's vegan food delivery! Christie 0 February 3, 2015
what is your favorite vegan cookbook? doe 0 December 30, 2014
A Yeast, Gluten, and Dairy Free Bread Recipe For Sufferers of ... Unsubscribed 2 April 28, 2013
Bean-flavored water Ron 1 March 27, 2013