Advertisement

Soyatoo Whipped Cream

topic posted Fri, September 1, 2006 - 6:29 PM by  Evan
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hey Vegans,..

Has anyone else tried this incredible soy whipped cream????? I got it at the new Farmer Joes Organic Market in Oakland..the fruitvale store..

This stuff is GOOD!

www.soyatoo-usa.com/
posted by:
Evan
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Soyatoo Whipped Cream

Thu, September 7, 2006 - 11:17 AM
    not to bring the whole world down, but i'm kinda feeling "oh great! now vegans can fill the land and water with more solid waste, including nondegrading plastic."

lex
    • Re: Soyatoo Whipped Cream

Thu, September 7, 2006 - 11:30 AM
      i think the cans are recyclable.
      • Unsu...

Thu, September 7, 2006 - 2:05 PM
        yeah, but recycling still takes all the oil and petrochemicals and mining needed to produce the can in the first place, then all the oil and coal needed to get the cans and turn them into recycled metal.

and then the plastic: plastic "recycling" usually means fueling waste incinerators, though sometimes (with high energy costs associated) it means turning into plascrete or plastic lumber. big chunks of the ocean's surface have more plastic carbon mass than bio-carbon mass with dire consequences for the sea birds, strainer feeders and other organisms that get screwed because of it.

lex

Thu, September 7, 2006 - 4:59 PM
          I'm a diligent recycler (the trash collector even complimented our household on it) but don't vegans get a little leeway since our lifestyle is a lot lighter on the earth ? It can't be all deprivation and sacrifice. I've only bought one can of Soyatoo since trying it in the Netherlands last year and it absolutely delighted the vegan kids who I was hosting, they so rarely get treats like this. I'd hate to lose young vegans because we hold them to excessively restrictive standards while the rest of the society is merrily polluting and filling landfills.
          • Unsu...

Fri, September 8, 2006 - 8:36 AM
            yeah, i guess i am saying it would be nice if there was vegan whipping cream/heavy cream sold out of a compostable carton, like there is with dairy.

i'm not sure what the value of veganism is if it is as environmentally destructive as any other system of food production/consumption while offering nothing in the way of nutritive substance (i.e. soy whipped cream from a cann is just as processed as cool whip).

Fri, September 8, 2006 - 8:53 AM
              Well the point of the novelty is that it is in the can, with the nitrous dispenser. "Real Dairy" whipped cream is sold the same way. I'm just annoyed that someone beat me to it because I just tried making it with Soy creamer and the nitrous canisters for whipped cream and it worked pretty well. It was my million dollar idea (ok, probably 1/4 million dollar idea).

To be honest, I don't know how much of this stuff they are really going to sell. It's cool but it is one of those things I will probably buy once a year (if that). My guess is that most vegan's are like that. The real worry is if they get into the lactose intollerant market....

Sun, September 10, 2006 - 11:08 AM
                The same company does sell a whipping soy "creme" in a recyclable package. Its not as much fun but maybe there's less guilt. Of course, monoculture soy production is not ideal regardless of the packaging.

I recently read _Omnivore's Dilemma_ by Michael Pollan (ultimately anti-vegan) and he really does a thorough expose of "industrial organic" which is quite similar to what we are talking about. I agree that replicating the bad practices of mainstream agribusiness is not a good thing. But honestly I wonder sometimes what the point is. I do what I do to not be complicit with the earth rape and abuse but I no longer think (as I did 20 years ago) that the world is going to be saved. Another good resource in this vein is the excellent do-cumentary "The Future of food".

At least for tonight - when my meal will be 95% from my garden and farmers markets - I can feel good about eating. Peaches with no whipped creme for dessert!

Wed, September 13, 2006 - 6:39 PM
                  it's yer lucky day lexy. www.soyatoo.com/

they do have it in a carton, though you will have to whip it yourself. i haven't seen it in the u.s. yet but they've got it in every other store in belgium. i've got 2 boxs in my fridge right now. jsut think about all the things you can cook that require heavy whipping cream.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Sat, October 7, 2006 - 3:33 PM
                    I have tried this stuff---it ROCKS! However, I will make sure to offset my contribution to the energy waste, etc., by purchasing extra shares of wind power.
                    • Unsu...

Mon, October 9, 2006 - 7:50 AM
                      I am addicted to Soyatoo!

Before finding Soyatoo, I bought some other kind of vegan spray whipped cream at a kosher market, but it was awful...After a few sprays it would clog every time, and I'd have to throw the rest away after paying a lot for it. Plus, it didn't come out like "real" whipped cream, the texture and flavor were okay, but not comparable.

Soyatoo, on the other hand, is amazing! It is so much fun to enjoy something I have avoided for 11 years (but missed)!
                      It's like running into an old friend you haven't seen in years! :)

The flavor and texture are absolutely perfect, it's so enjoyable!

I think this is a great break-through for vegan bakers. Often, I see people trying to sell cardboard-looking vegan cookies for $2 per cookie, but often the cookie is organic (which is great) but looks like a big, gross, dog biscuit. Nobody in their right mind who isn't vegan would buy or eat it. Sometimes they taste bland, too. Don't get me wrong, there ARE definitely some great vegan bakers out their who decorate desserts professionally, make them beautiful, and sell them at fair prices...BUT, I can't deny there are still people out there trying to sell gross crap for high prices, when it doesn't even look nice. It turns people away from veganism when stuff like that happens.

So, I think it's important for us to be able to make vegan baked goods look as delicious and beautiful as any other goodies.
                      This whipped cream will be beautiful on cakes and other desserts...and on top of drinks! It would be so nice if coffee shops would start using this whipped cream on top of their drinks, to offer customers an alternative to dairy whipped cream!

***My favorite thing to use Soyatoo on (other than directly into my mouth until half of the can is gone) is:
                      *Purely Decadent Peanut Butter Zig Zag ice cream (by Soy Delicious).
                      It's vegan peanut butter cup ice cream with big chunks, in chocolate ice cream!

I had a dream the other night that I ate all of the whipped cream...and was trying to squirt out the last little bits...then, I woke up and made it come true...hehehe...

***What is your favorite thing to use this whipped cream on???

Recent topics in "Vegan Cooking"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
A Yeast, Gluten, and Dairy Free Bread Recipe For Sufferers of ... Unsubscribed 2 April 28, 2013
Bean-flavored water Ron 1 March 26, 2013
Vegan Cornbread Ayala 18 March 26, 2013
"Big Organic" brands and parent companies 1 March 26, 2013